Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Haiti: Mwen fou pou ou

That means "Haiti: I'm crazy for you." At first, I thought I was just crazy! I wrote in a journal each day I was there. I'm just going to copy from it because it's easier than trying to summarize :) I didn't write near as much as I wish I would have. I'm so not good at journaling and keeping up with stuff. I'll do better on the next mission trip.

Friday, March 23rd:
So, I'm on the plane heading to Haiti. I can't believe I'm actually going to a different place without my family. God does big stuff. I didn't cry too much saying good-bye to Jacob and Charlie Grace - until I read my letter from Jacob. I guess I forget how much I rely on him for encouragement and strength. He amazes me at how strong he is. I know he will be taking good care of our baby girl. Every time I start getting choked up or feel the tears coming, I just pray. Oh the power of prayer. :) I'm praying for peace and comfort, and for a calmness about the week ahead. It's going great so far, but it's only been a few hours! I think I will have some beautiful friendships by the week's end and even better - some beautiful memories of being the feet of a God who loves even the smallest, most shy child in Haiti. I get to be a part of that. Wow. Yay with me!

Saturday, March 24th (morning):
Ok! I made it through night one. There was a delay on our 2nd flight from Fort Lauderdale to Port au Prince. That wasn't too bad. When we landed and went through customs, I was so nervous. There were tons of men trying to "help" us with our luggage and wanting us to take their "taxi." They would come right up and motion you to their vehicle and try to just take your bags. I stayed right behind Betty because she would very sternly look at them and say "NO." It was nerve-wracking to say the least! We met up with Fenel and loaded our luggage into the truck. We all piled into a van and off we went. It was so sad to see the poverty in Port au Prince. The smell was bad awful! It was a mixture of sewage and body odor. The people just sat around on the streets. Some were selling sodas or food (which didn't look edible). There were piles of food for sale that looked rotten, but people were rummaging through it like it was wonderful. There were entire "cities" made of tin scraps and any other materials they could put together. It was a LONG 3 hour drive from there to Jacmel. When we arrived at the House of Abraham, we were met by Fenel's wife, Mimi, who had a casserole and brownies waiting for us. It was ... Interesting. But I'm picky! (my pickiness became a joke by the end of the week). We were told that 13 children lived at the House of Abraham. We wouldn't get to meet them until the morning because they were already asleep. I haven't had a breakdown YET. I have cried a few times. I already miss Jacob and Charlie so so much. All I want to do is talk to my husband and tell him I love him and it's only been one day. Just to hear his voice. - Suck it up Steph! I've been praying that God would use me big time here and keep my mind focused on these sweet children and know that mine is being taken care of by a whole army of people who love her. More Later.



Ok, the papoose is screaming. Guess she's ready for some mommy-daughter time. Either that, or she's ready to eat! Either way, I'm enjoying every moment.  - Counting my happies today.

xoxo - Steph

1 comment:

  1. Im so glad to hear the trip from someone else's view :) yay for journaling too (:

    ReplyDelete