Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Should I stay or should I go now

Let's start at the beginning.. Sortof. A few years ago Jacob and I started talking about wanting to do mission work overseas. I knew I wanted to be in an orphanage somewhere. I didn't care where, I just knew I wanted to show love to sweet babies somewhere! Well, we were beginning to pray about it and really persue it when we found out we were pregnant!!! So, we put the missions "stuff" on hold and decided to find ways to serve locally.

October rolled around and we finally met our sweet Charlie Grace. Oh she is beautiful! (I could write a book on this child, so I won't go on and on here - we'll save that for another blog).

Around February, I heard about an all women's mission trip to Haiti to work in an orphanage. I thought it would be so neat to go, but didn't give it much thought. Hello I have a 4 month old! A few weeks later, I was told that they had one spot left and that they really needed one more person to go. This was a Sunday night. I boo-hoo'ed. ALOT. I was so torn, I wanted to go, but I didn't want to leave my baby!! I did some major praying, alot of crying, some pro/con lists, and talking. But mostly, crying and praying. I was at home reading in the Bible about serving God even when it's not convenient or easy. And stumbled upon Matthew 10:37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." And with that, I knew I had no choice. How can I ever expect to show my little girl how to truely serve Jesus if I refuse to do so myself?!

So I was going! I told Jim (the missions pastor) that Friday to count me in!!

I've got story after story to tell about what God did in Haiti. I can't wait to share them and show pictures of what I experienced. I'm changed. I've grown. I've learned. I'm humbled. But most of all, I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to be the hands and feet of a living God.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful first attempt. My Cup Runneth Over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! I'm so glad your blogging and that verse is amazing! Love you BF

    ReplyDelete