Thursday, April 19, 2012

a trip in 200 words


I was asked to write 200 words summing up my experience in Haiti. 200 words is NOT very many words to explain a life changing event. But, I did it.... Don't know where they are using it, so I'm posting it here. Sorry I've been M.I.A. lately. I'll try to do better.

I’m a closet control freak! I’m not a fan of chaos, or winging it. I like structure, rules, and feeling like I’ve got things all figured out. But this trip changed all that. I had to give up control and live on Faith. AND I LOVED IT! From day one, we had unexpected events occur. With each “surprise,” I prayed! I learned that the power of prayer is amazing. During the week, I would get choked up about how the people lived, and discouraged when a story wasn’t being told the way I thought it should be. I got scared when I thought about something happening to my family while I was gone. But I was reminded repeatedly that God is in control. He’s in control of the words the Haitian children heard, our safety, our families back home, even the water we drank. The Lord we serve is a living God. He hears us when we cry out to Him and He cares for us all. Not just those of us in our lofty houses driving our nice cars. He is in control of ALL of us. He loves ALL of us. Even the sweet orphaned children living in 3rd world places surrounded by disease and dirty water. On the surface, I thought God just sent me to Haiti to show His love to children, but He really wanted to teach me to rely solely on Him. Lesson Learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment